Being a Highly Sensitive Person brings a lot of discomfort and a lot of it is to do with other people. We can’t control other people but we can control our attitudes and responses to these people who irritate us.
Recently I’ve started a conscious work on my boundaries. And, I’ve identified a list:
- Ask people not to bombard you with negativity in the morning
- Tell others your plans (to some degree)
- Establish your ‘work zone time’ when no one can interrupt you
- Establish your ‘me time’ when you can relax in solitude and complete silence
- Put your phone on silent or airplane mode (not all the time though!)
- Tell people that you prefer doing something in a particular way
- Have certain days or times when you socialise and let people know that
- Work from home or part-time
- In a friendly manner, ask your family and friends not to shame your feelings
- Establish a 0 tolerance policy on complaining
Most importantly, don’t ever let people who care about you figure some of these out on their own.
In my personal experience, I used to have my phone on silent all the time, hence I missed a lot of calls from my family members. They would be very annoyed and ask me to turn my phone off silent sometimes but I thought they are just trying to be dominant and did nothing.
Now, I wish I have had a chat with them about how their frequent calling affected me and that I have all the rights to have my phone on silent because of that. Then, I would’ve established times when I put my phone on silent (e.g. mornings till 12pm) and told them about it.
This way not only you’ll live your life as you want, but the people around you will be happy.
Boundaries are important not only for HSP’s but also for everyone else. It is part of being assertive but not demanding. But, sometimes it is difficult to start somewhere. So, if you start implementing any of these, tell me about it in the comments!
- Featured image source: https://greenswancreations.wordpress.com/tag/interior-decoration/
5 replies on “10 Boundaries Of Highly Sensitive Person”
All these points are very important for me. I have been a sensitive person since childhood and like to cut out negative aspects of my life as soon as I spot them. It has a lot of benefits too actually, these practices keep me out from the things not required in life and helps me focus on the important ones.
Best wishes from The Strong Traveller and have a great day
Do have a look at my blog whenever you find the time. There is some travel and lifestyle content which you may find interesting. Your thoughts will surely be very valuable. 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] elixir, a healing potion for their nervous system. Therefore, they would be wise to set up certain boundaries around their rest […]
I totally loved this! These things you just mentioned are as important as eating and sleeping!
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] a very warm personality and be able to connect with people on the basis of small things they […]
[…] in your control without calling them out or getting irritated. Not only you’ll avoid shaming your friend for just trying to get thought the day when they are already doing their best, but also […]